Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Stuff. Too much damned stuff.

So I'm home again. I came back in spring 2011 and was lucky enough to land with an awesome job in place and I have no plans for extended travel for a while. To be clear, by extended travel I mean more than 6 weeks, I'm never going to stop traveling. I'm really happy to be home, as I've finally been able to do somethings I've been waiting to do since 2002 (yes I've been keeping track), namely spend more time in the mountains and learn some new tricks.

Mt. Baker summit
Mt. Daniel climb
First triathlon! I hate swimming. 
Night skiing 

A normal weekend excursion 


My closet on my back.
Proof you don't need a walk-in closet.  
However, being home for such a long time (I haven't spent this much continuous time at home since...1996 maybe?) also made me realize how much STUFF accumulates over time. When I travel/live abroad, I basically live out of a backpack with one pair of pants, a few tshirts, a dress and a couple sweaters and one coat. In fact, if you look over my travel photos, I'm wearing the same clothes on almost every trip since I have a "travel wardrobe" that basically never changes (if curious, it's basically quick dry clothes in neutral and darker colors. Scarves and earrings you pick up along the way are your best friends for accessorizing).

I live pretty easily traveling and yet when I'm home I have SO MANY THINGS.  So many that I wonder where most of it comes from. This is not just clothing, but random stuff I've collected over the years. This is a problem. Not only is this problem because I just don't need this much crap, but I also share a 750sq. ft/69.67sq. m  house with Brian and his respective pile of stuff. I think if we were to move into a "normal" American home of 2300sq ft/213sq. m we wouldn't have enough to fill it, but what we have is still too much for me! (I still can't believe that is the average size of an American house, that is straight up ridiculous.)

Courtesy of Ram Dass
However, I don't ever want to live in a house that big with crap stuffed to the rafters. I want to know that everything I own has a purpose, practical or aesthetic. Our global consumerist culture of growth for growth sakes, which spirals into debt that people pile up and ultimately cannot afford, does not create a path to happiness or wellbeing. The whole thing is ridiculous, wasteful, can easily destroy your life and is a distraction from the things that really matter in life (personal opinion). Now to get off my high horse I admit I'm not imune to consumerism. I don't think anyone is and despite Americans being particularly bad at this, the rest of the world does it too. Go to any shopping street in any major city in the world on a Saturday afternoon and watch consumerism flourish. And all of you should watch the Story of Stuff.
The Story of Stuff 

I'm also not an ascetic. I'm not interested in owning only 10, 30, 50 or 100 things. If you search around for minimalism people have distilled their life into very small inventories. For me its not about numbers, but about having a purpose for the things I own. So I've resurrected this blog to help me track my little project. I'm planning to get rid of at least 10 things every month for the next year. Even I don't think this is very ambitious, but it's mostly to get in the habit of regularly assessing what I own and clearing things out. That said I do have rules:

  • No replacing. I can't get rid of something, then change my mind and buy it again, or buy the "newer better" version. I'll make an exception for things I've worn out, like the pair of jeans that are worn through and have been extensively repaired/fixed but are finally at the end of their life. 
  • Reuse/fix as much as I can. Said jeans? Yeah they are worn but I've taken them to the tailor several times and have managed to resurrect them. Use things until their lifespan is really finished. Then recycle them. 
  • If I do buy something randomly, I have to get rid of something. Ex: said jeans. When I buy a new pair, I need to get rid of the old ones and not hang onto it. I think this is how most of the accumulation occurs. (This is going to hurt when I buy new skis) 

This is my own personal experiment (I'm sure I'll break the rules at some point for an exception I can't think about now). I'm not looking to judge how others live their lives, I've just been feeling overwhelmed with all the STUFF I have and need to assess what I have and why. Living simply when I'm abroad reminds me of how little things we need to be happy. I'm happiest when I'm traveling and in the mountains, when all I have is literally on my back.

I'm planning to start with "sections." I'll start with clothes/shoes, kitchen, bathroom, gear, books, office materials, and so forth. That is the easiest way I can think of organizing things but I'm sure I'll come up with other ways to tackle the mess. I can already tell what will be the hardest, books and outdoor gear. I admit I have a lot, and I love all of it!

So what have I gotten rid of so far this month? Some stuff goes to consignment (I don't mind making money off things I don't need!) and the rest went to Goodwill.

Consignment clothes:
1. J.Crew tweed coat
2. REI pullover
3. Red silk dress that I haven't worn since 2009 (why did I hang on to it?!)
4. J.Crew mustard pencil skirt
5. J.Crew merino pullover

Goodwill:
6. Black silk skirt
7. Khaki pencil skirt
8. Gray wool pants
9. Brown purse
10. Cheap brown heels I've never liked
11. Banana Republic black leather kitten heels
12. Furla leather flats

I actually still have #11 and 12 if anyone wants them. Size 8.5

Onward!

No comments: